After Mirabai Chanu won a silver medal for India, Indian Olympic fans are very eager for the next winner of a medal and Pooja Rani gives us hope for a medal. In fact, today was a great start as PV Sindhu won her second game and in addition to this Pooja Rani also won her match and entered into quarter-finals.
- Pooja Rani defeated Ichrak Chaib of Algeria and had a commanding 5-0 win over her opponent. Pooja Rani is already a two time Asian championship gold medalist, and because of her experience, it was quite easy to defeat the 20-year-old opponent from Algeria.
- Pooja Rani was very calm and played tactically with her opponent. While on the other hand, Chaib showed energy and she played fiercely but she kind of missed her target. It can be said that Rani defeated Chaib by taking advantage of her weak defense. Pooja knew what she was doing and what she needed to do to win the match.
- Rani just dominated Chaib with her experience and tactics. One of her important tactics was to just counterattack her opponent. While Chaib was trying to hit powerfully, she was just missing her target. Inter round 1 both of them played quite fiercely and threw some blows to each other.
- As Rani was playing it smart, it was becoming difficult for Chaib to handle Rani and at the end of the first round, it went 5-0 to Rani. Pooja Rani took the first round with a unanimous decision against her opponent. In the second round, Rani played with her tactics. She stayed calm and on the other Chaib was full of eagerness.
- And because of staying calm and playing smart Rani took the round by 5-0. In the third round, Pooja was more dominant as compared to Chaib.
- In the last few minutes, she played very tactically, the Algerian open and was trying her best to get some punches. but Pooja was holding her ground and counter punching cleanly.
- Rani gets a unanimous 5-0 decision in favor and then she won 5-0 and had taken the next step quarterfinal. Now she is this one win away from winning a medal for India.
Pooja Rani becomes the third Indian female boxer to win the first match in Tokyo Olympics 2020. At the same time, she also became the second Indian boxer to enter the quarterfinals at the Tokyo Olympics. The first was Indian boxer Lovlina Borgohain who made it into the quarter finals of women’s welterweight events on Tuesday.
Now she has to compete with the second-seeded Li Qian of China on Saturday. We can say that now Li Qian is the barrier between Pooja Rani and her goal to win a medal for India. It is great that Pooja Rani has made her debut Olympic game so strong that she is just one step away from winning a medal for India. After winning only a silver medal and facing continuous disappointments, Pooja Rani has given all the Indian Olympic fans a hope that she will win a medal for India for sure.