Although day 5 was kind of disappointing for Indians as the shooters were not able to give their best, still Lovlina gave us hope for a medal. So now let’s have a look at some important day 6 highlights:
Indian Archer Deepika Kumari shined up in today’s game.
- World number 1 ranked Archer Deepika Kumari competed against USA’s Jennifer Mucino Fernandez in 1/16 elimination round in women’s individual archery event, and our Indian Archer successfully defeated her opponent. In the first set, Deepika got upset as she scored 25 while her opponent scored 26. But in the second set, Deepika had a scoreline level of 2-2 to another third set she took a 4-2 lead in the match.
- Deepika faced difficulties in set 4 as Fernandez made a comeback, as she brought up the scoreline to 4-4. At the last and the deciding set, Deepika won the match by 6-4 and as a result, she got into the 1/8 eliminations round. But in the men’s individual archery 1/16 elimination round, Tarundeep Rai and Pravin Jadhav were not able to give their best and craft out of it.
- While on the other hand, India’s best shuttler PV Sindhu competed against Ngan Yi Cheung of Hong Kong in her second group J match of badminton.
PV Sindhu defeated her opponent in straight sets of 21-9, 21-16 and proceeded to the elimination round of women’s singles.
- PV Sindhu won the first set easily in just 15 minutes. In the second set, Cheung tried her best to defeat Sindhu but PV Sindhu captured important points and won in straight sets. PV Sindhu gave her best and defeated Hong Kong’s shuttler. Now should compete against Mia Blichfedt in the round of 16.
- But unfortunately in men’s singles, Indian shuttler Sai Praneeth lost to Mark Caljouw of the Netherlands and crashed out of Tokyo Olympics 2020.
As for India’s performance in hockey in Tokyo Olympics 2020, the women’s hockey team got defeated by Great Britain. Great Britain won 4-1. India has already lost the game to Germany in the 2nd match and to the Netherlands in the 3rd match that was on Sunday. Now the Indian hockey team will face Ireland on July 30 and South Africa on July 31 before the knockout stage that is on August 2.
In rowing, pair Arvind Singh and Arjun Richard Lal finished 6th in the semifinals but failed to qualify for finals.
And also, Indian boxer Pooja Rani took part in the quarter-finals of the women’s middleweight category after defeating Ichark Chaib of Algeria.
- Pooja defeated her opponent in the round of 16 in kokugikan Arena. Rani defeated Chaib 5-4 on Wednesday of the Tokyo Olympics 2020. Pooja fought fiercely and won the first round. Pooja made the match quite interesting even though Chaib was trying hard to win the round, Pooja didn’t let her do so. Pooja didn’t allow Chaib to come back in the following two rounds.
- Also, remember that Lovlina took the spotlight by defeating Nadine Apetz of Germany, and on Sunday Mary Kom also won the women’s flyweight category after defeating Miguelina Gracia of the Dominican republic. The Indian women boxers are doing a great job till now.
Meanwhile, in rowing, Indian rovers Arjun Lal Jaat and Arvind Singh failed to qualify for the men’s lightweight double sculls finals after they got defeated and finished in 6th and last in the 2nd semi-final today.