As per local media, the family of Riley Franz, a student who was shot in the neck on November 30 at Oxford High School in the US state of Michigan, has filed a $100 million lawsuit. According to local media, the federal lawsuit accuses school administrators of disregarding violent threats not only in the hours and days leading up to Ethan Crumbley’s death but also two weeks before, when students and parents raised concerns.
Xinhua news agency quoted Fieger as stating that in addition to the federal case, a similar claim will be launched in state court, seeking $100 million as well. Riley Franz, 17, and her 14-year-old sister Bella were in the same room when Riley and other classmates were shot. The girls had been shot at as they emerged from a bathroom.
According to the lawsuit, both girls had anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, as well as physical and emotional impairments, in the days following.
Crumbley “behaved in such a way that would lead a reasonable observer to know and suspect that he was preparing to cause grave physical injury” days before the attack, according to the lawsuit. It says that just by allowing Crumbley to stay at school, failing to inform the school safety liaison officer about his behavior, and excluding him from a meeting with his parents, school administrators raise the risk to students.
Crumbley “posted countdowns and threats of bodily harm, including death, on his social media accounts in the days leading up to the shooting, warning of violent tendencies and murderous ideology prior to actually coming to school with the handgun and ammunition to perpetuate the slaughter,” according to the lawsuit.
Crumbley said on Twitter the night before the shooting: “Now That I’ve turned into Death, the world’s destroyer. Oxford, I’ll see you tomorrow.”